Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Eating right? What the hell is that? [ Conspiracy theory, Ed said so! ] - Page 3

Tags: who added all these stupid tags?, to do, Snob Goblin is a muncher of sorts, Ed is a huge floppy pussy, fast food nyom nyom, I FUCKIN LOVE CORN DOGS, food, health woo, chemical fallacy, fathead, protein, diets, proper eating, Ed has a problem with this post - surprise!, bring the ridiculous tags!, Anything that disagrees with Ed is a CT, Fuck not again, WE ARE OMNIVEROUS, low-carb, Gary Taubes, Every thread Ed touches turns to shit, hypothesis, OMG CHEEZBURGERS ARE AWESOME, STARCH IS FOR IRONING CLOTHES NOT FOOD :), STARCH IS ALSO A GLUE FOR PAPER PRODUCTS NOT FOOD :), Ed is an intellectual midget [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Sites of interest | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 12:53
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

You're all just too stupid to understand Ed's genius.

#61 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 12:53
(0)

Oooh baby, baby, baby, baby, ... EEE baby, baby, baby.

Level: 1
CS Original

Okay time for the men to take over:

Maybe this can help us cure the forum cancer:

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.html?releasePID=XYSAmVfaZ4g7VUcPxKL9oAmx9pTy9m9j

#62 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 12:55
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

You sound like a conspiracy theorist Eric.

Meat did 911.

#63 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 13:06
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

Meat is a reptilian effort to fatten up the human race for a good food source for their babies.

If you eat mainly vegetables you will remain skinny and of no use to the reptilians as food.

Smoke weed too, it makes you smarter than everyone else and wakes you up to the new world order.

BTW Eric

Is that chicken at the top the Illuminati ?

#64 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 13:09
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original

The Low-Carb and Low-Fat Camps have been fighting for years, I don't think I'd recommend a movie on the topic that is clearly biased in one direction and ignoring contrary evidence.

There's some good evidence to consider low-fat diets with moderate amounts of SFA, no TFA and limited amounts of calories to be as healthy (or more, depending on one's metabolism) as any other diet. This doesn't apply to Atkins' or similar diets though, which don't differentiate between PUFA/MUFA and SFA at all, mostly ignore TFA and forbid the consumption of fruits and most vegetables.

#65 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 13:11
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original
#66 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 13:11
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

CJ is a communist. Don't listen to him.

#67 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 16:21
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

Gary Tabues was criticized in the latest skeptic magazine (yeah that book)

Link to two of skeptic magazines reviews of Gary Taubes book:
http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-01-05/#feature<br /> http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-05-04/#feature</p>

Anyone else notice that Freedhof's problem isn't the theory or argument, but the way Taubes makes his case?

There seems to be a similar tone in the above links.

Also some articles of further interest to this discussion:
Cut Down On 'Carbs' to Reduce Body Fat, Study Authors Say
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110606092532.htm</p>

Low-Carb, Higher-Fat Diets Add No Arterial Health Risks to Obese People Seeking to Lose Weight, Studies Suggest
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110601075124.htm</p>

EDIT:
20-Year Study Finds No Association Between Low-Carb Diets And Risk Of Coronary Heart Disease
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/11/061109095850.htm

#68 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 16:39
(0)

CS Original

I would like to point out that there is a huge difference between restricting your carb intake, and following an atkins type diet. The goal of atkins type diets is to make your body go into ketosis so that it burns fat instead of carbs/muscle for energy.

In a sensible low carb diet, you don't "count carbs", you just stay away from excessive and high GI carbs such as sugars. My current diet consists of loads of veggies, all types of meat, and many types of nuts. I've used this technique in the past to put on loads of muscle and eliminate belly fat.

Even on this diet I have no problem with the occasional Mcdonalds meal on the weekends.

#69 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 16:52
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

I thought ketosis was when your body's glycogen stores were utterly depleted and fat stores were not being adequately converted into fuel so your kidneys begin to dissociate proteins to produce ketone bodies such that your brain can continue to function while other bodily systems begin to go in crisis mode. Pretty sure ketosis means your liver is out of glycogen and your body is so desperate it just goes to town on protein.

EDIT: Checked this out, fatty acid is used in ketogenesis, proteins are similarly part of the pathway that helps cleve fatty acids to make ketone bodies.

#70 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 16:57
(0)

CS Original

I'm not well versed on the term, just going by memory. I remember they used to sell keto-sticks that extreme low carbers used to see if they were in ketosis.

Here is what I found on wiki:
If the diet is changed from a highly glycemic diet to a diet that does not provide sufficient carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores, the body goes through a set of stages to enter ketosis. During the initial stages of this process, blood glucose levels are maintained through gluconeogenesis, and the adult brain does not burn ketones; however, the brain makes immediate use of ketones for lipid synthesis in the brain. After about 48 hours of this process, the brain starts burning ketones in order to more directly use the energy from the fat stores that are being depended upon, and to reserve the glucose only for its absolute needs, thus avoiding the depletion of the body's protein store in the muscles.[7]

Ketosis is deliberately induced by use of a ketogenic diet as a medical intervention in cases of non-responsive epilepsy.[6] Other uses of low-carbohydrate diets remain controversial.[8][9]

EDIT: to acknowledge your edit. :p

#71 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 17:01
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

what i was thinking about was actually the next metabolic step when the proteins in your muscles are actually broken down to create carbohydrates because you are too utterly fucked to stay alive. You were using ketosis correctly, i was the one who was confused.

#72 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 17:19
(0)

CS Original

Skeptic Magazine must be a fringe magazine, since they are promoting Gary Taubes lecture at Cal Tech:
http://www.skeptic.com/upcoming-lectures/why-we-get-fat/</p>

Oh look Skeptic Magazine doing a podcast with Gary Taubes:
http://hw.libsyn.com/p/a/7/6/a762bd54730e46b0/153_Skepticality.mp3?sid=a38cb34ffd5e7055d6957b90c97b74a3&l_sid=18359&l_eid=&l_mid=2537549

#73 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
lylenPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 17:30
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

Kepp, haven't checked out your links yet but will. Everything you wrote falls in line with what I understand as well. I'm not sure if any of the links mention this but the culprit of sugar releasing the chemistry that tells your body to produce insulin is bringing on fat production and unstable appetite is a popular topic in diet right now. Especially high fructose corn syrup. I believe some European countries have even banned corn syrup.

#74 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 17:47
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

There's nothing wrong with HFCS as long as you don't over indulge in it, which is the same for pretty much everything.

#75 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 20:31
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

Why does everyone seem to be nodding their heads in agreement here? The mainstream of science is always the most likely to be correct, and the mainstream is not in agreement here. Are you all just trying to troll Ed? You are, aren't you.

#76 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 20:45
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

I'm telling Ed not to argue not an Internet n00b.

#77 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 20:54
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I heard Domokato sucks big dicks.

#78 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 23:22
(0)

CS Original

Why does everyone seem to be nodding their heads in agreement here? The mainstream of science is always the most likely to be correct, and the mainstream is not in agreement here.

Except the mainstream didn't come to its conclusions by scientific means, it came to them by legislative ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFQc2kxm9c

#79 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 06:41
(0)

CS Original

^exactly

The peer review literature was absent or ignored. Is it a conspiracy? No, just human nature and ignorance.

#80 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 06:49
(0)

CS Original

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I don't believe there was any sort of conspiracy at all, people jump the gun, people make mistakes, sometimes we're just wrong. I'm still trying to figure out the extent of how incorrect the current held belief is in regard to proper diet, because I definitely don't want to do the wrong thing.

#81 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 07:30
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

I thought ketosis was what happens when a druggie does too much horse tranquiliser.

#82 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 12:04
(0)

CS Original

Sorry Rox, my office blocks conspiracy youtubes.

@Matt, I'd give you a freebie but I only like to suck BIG dicks, sorry

#83 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 12:10
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

You're so mean.

#84 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 12:17
(0)

CS Original

It's a news broadcast, not a conspiracy video. Don't be a douche bag, I know it's hard, but give it a try. Ed's a big enough forum cancer, we don't need yet another person that grinds an ax against something just because they feel like it.

#85 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 12:20
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Pwned.

#86 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 12:22
(0)

CS Original

i'm just busting your honorary balls

#87 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 12:23
(0)

CS Original

Do it somewhere else, this topic is already falling apart like a Chinese motorcycle.

#88 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 13:15
(0)

CS Original

Rox, just for you I took the time to watch that youtube video on my phone. That was not a news broadcast. You trolled me good!

#89 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Jun 23, 2011 - 13:33
(0)

Oooh baby, baby, baby, baby, ... EEE baby, baby, baby.

Level: 1
CS Original

Seriously dude, you're on the fast track to becoming the next Ed. Stop trying to be funny, and trust me you're not funny, you're just sad and trying too hard.

#90 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]