Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Eating right? What the hell is that? [ Conspiracy theory, Ed said so! ]

Tags: who added all these stupid tags?, to do, Snob Goblin is a muncher of sorts, Ed is a huge floppy pussy, fast food nyom nyom, I FUCKIN LOVE CORN DOGS, food, health woo, chemical fallacy, fathead, protein, diets, proper eating, Ed has a problem with this post - surprise!, bring the ridiculous tags!, Anything that disagrees with Ed is a CT, Fuck not again, WE ARE OMNIVEROUS, low-carb, Gary Taubes, Every thread Ed touches turns to shit, hypothesis, OMG CHEEZBURGERS ARE AWESOME, STARCH IS FOR IRONING CLOTHES NOT FOOD :), STARCH IS ALSO A GLUE FOR PAPER PRODUCTS NOT FOOD :), Ed is an intellectual midget [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to Sites of interest | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 04:27
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

I know this post may piss off a few of you, but here goes...

Did you know the lipid hypothesis, the idea that high cholesterol is caused by saturated fats and it causes heart disease is bullshit? That's correct, it is! The belief that eating right means eating whole grains and low amounts of eggs, meat, etc is completely wrong, in fact the opposite is true!

But what is my word? Nothing! I don't even have a college education, so instead I'll give you the resources to learn from more credible individuals.

Video

In your face introduction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4 /> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFQc2kxm9c

Fat Head
A great movie that starts as a sort of response to Supersize Me, but then turns out to provide a lot of logical and scientifically sound evidence that it's grains, starches, high sugars, and processed vegetable oils that's bad for us, not eggs, meat, and so forth as we've been told for about 40 years now. The film has been discussed before on this site.

Buy it:
http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Head-Tom-Naughton/dp/B001NRY6R2/</p>

Or if you live in a county where you can't get it or watch it, then download it:
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Fat-Head-2009/43585420553e64abc47e734fd890022b50f8c5b9101d</p>

Fat Head's YouTube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/fatheadmovie - it contains a lot of material from the film as well as more.

Books
http://www.amazon.com/Know-Your-Fats-Understanding-Cholesterol/dp/0967812607/<br /> http://www.amazon.com/Ignore-Awkward-Cholesterol-Myths-Alive/dp/1453759409/<br /> http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/</p>

Blogs

From actual doctors:
http://primalmeded.com/</p>

From non-doctors, but still smart people:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/</p>

From asshole body builders:
http://freetheanimal.com/</p>

People that actually eat like this
http://nuclearfuzzgrunge.com/tlcm/</p>

Of course none of the things above are peer reviewed papers, but they do provide information and links to studies, publications, and so forth, so I won't reinvent the wheel here, this is just a basic overview.

Vegans and vegetarians talk a lot of shit about eating meat; of course, why wouldn't they? They have a belief system, typically based on care for animals rather than science, and they often go to great lengths to try to convince us that it's bad to eat meat or in the case of vegans, anything that comes from animals.

Myth #1: Human beings are the only apes that eat meat.
Fact #1: Nearly all apes eat meat, all great apes in fact eat meat as well, even chimpanzees are known to have hunting teams, and sometimes they even eat each other.

Myth #2: Eggs are bad because they're chicken menstruations.
Fact #2: Only mammals menstruate.

I had some others in mind but I didn't write them down, if you know of any to contribute, please do!

Before and after a switch to raw veganism

Science, what's that?

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 04:38
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

yup suprised the shit out of me when i watched fathead too.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
lylenPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 05:33
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

I checked out a couple of the links but not everything because I'm aware of most of the points that were touched on. Just an anecdote and some thoughts. My brother had a weight problem until he went on a no sugar diet. What's amazing is how small his range of food choices are. Any sugar that is in anything like milk or peanuts or even carrots that exceed it's fiber amount is canned. The guy is just shedding pounds, he eats all the fat he wants. I do road bike racing and it's an endurance sport, sometimes we consume 4000 calories in a day of riding. Without sugars and starches during a ride and recovery afterward we'd be total wrecks. I think that a combination of docile lifestyle and sugars is becoming more and more obvious as an unhealthy way. Sugars are for burning energy, if there's no reason for burning energy stick to fats and proteins. On the extreme end the top pro's in endurance sports have every calorie down to a science. Some of them do become vegetarian. A few that come to mind are Triathlete Scott Tinley, Tour de France cyclist and US Time Trail champion Dave Zabriske and 1980's Tour de France racer Dave Millar. The thing that Zabriske said is it helps give him a focus to diet and make the right choices, not a word about animals.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 05:52
(0)

CS Original

What's the point of actually becoming vegetarian or vegan unless you have a woo belief or care about animals more than people? I guess the third option would be: to be trendy.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 06:39
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

Excellent topic!

Here is a great book on the subject that I recently picked up:
http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307272702

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 06:41
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

Michael Shermer also promotes this type of diet.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
freeflyerPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 07:21
(0)

Gary Tabues was criticized in the latest skeptic magazine (yeah that book)

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 07:24
(0)

CS Original

What no link?

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
freeflyerPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 07:44
(0)

It was in the skeptic magazine. If you like, I can scan that article and email you

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 07:52
(0)

CS Original

That'd be great, if you'd please. Just send it to conspiracyscience[at]gmail.com

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 07:54
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original

I think an even more woo-woo diet than raw veganism is one that's advertised in a flyer on a bulletin board outside my office. It goes one step further than just raw veganism...it proclaims that unless you learn the 'acid/alkaline balance of food for proper digestion' you will not digest food properly, you body will accumulate toxins, and you will not be able to function properly. It also includes a diagram of the digestive system to appear scientific.

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 08:00
(0)

CS Original

Anyone that isn't a chemist that uses the word "toxins" is a moron, you don't have to listen to anything else they say, it's that easy.

-----

If you want to avoid reading the garbage on this thread, you can skip straight to the next useful post:

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/forums/topic/eating-right-what-the-hell-is-that/page/2#post-42557

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 08:09
(0)

Level: 10
CS Original

Yea, last I checked Gary Tabues' theories along with diets like Atkins are not looked at as the mainstream view. Don't forget to be skeptical just because it says something completely different to what the The Raw Food diet advocates.

Here's what seems to be a good critical responce from weight expert Dr Yoni Freedhoff.
http://www.weightymatters.ca/2011/01/book-review-gary-taubes-why-we-get-fat.html

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Wolf BirdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 08:12
(0)

I shoot you dead.

Level: 9
CS Original

@Rox - oh, I know. That bulletin board with a lot of shit on me used to piss me off. Now, when I need a 2 minute break to take a quick walk or stand for a bit, I go out and look at it for laughs.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
freeflyerPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 08:41
(0)

The Real Roxette, I will send it at some point today.

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 08:45
(0)

CS Original

Even so Ed, that article also states that the author agrees with the scientific premise that carbohydrates and low fat cause health problems.

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 08:48
(0)

CS Original

Roxette, if that's all you got out of the article I suspect you couldn't have read it properly.

Where does he say low fat causes health problems? Does he say that you can eat all the saturated fat you want and this and high cholesterol isn't linked to heart disease after all and doesn't make you fat? I'm pretty sure if you read the article he even says that you can eat high carbs and loose weight, so long as its calorie controlled. I don't understand how you managed to get out of this that he agrees with you?

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 08:55
(0)

CS Original

It's rare that I've had the occasion to read a book whose premises I agree with (that we eat way too many carbs, that they in turn impact on our weights, and that weight-wise exercise isn't much to write home about), but whose arguments make me cringe. Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat met that billing.

Hmm... not sure where I got that idea from. It's not like it's the first sentence.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:01
(0)

CS Original

That's becuase there's a big difference between advocating low carb and what you, Fat Head, Taubes and Atkins are saying. Kind of like me saying I agree we should eat mostly vegetables, and then if you said that's the same as veganism. Supersize Me may have contained BS methods, but films like FatHead seem to contain similar amounts of BS, appearing to represent two extreme sides of reality.

Did you happen to read any further than the first sentence?

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:05
(0)

CS Original

No, I actually didn't read beyond the first few paragraphs. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a CT, Ed. But it's really no surprise you'd have an ax to grind on the subject. As I stated he agreed with the premise, and he did, in the first sentence, but I'm sure you can find a wonderful way of proving that wrong that will go on for 15 pages.

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:13
(0)

CS Original

And I guess I am a vegan because I think we should eat mostly vegetables I suppose, right? But thanks for admitting you didn't actually read it, makes me wonder why you wanted the article from Skepic Mag if you're just planning on ignoring it all anyway.

And btw since you only have a few fringe credentialed experts that seem to agree with you, you are in fact voicing a conspiracy theory no different to any other, including Raw Food Veganism.

Also, here's Freedhoff's summation at the end of the article. I know its longer than a sentence which means you'll probably ignore it but I'll post it anyway. It amazes me that you think he agree's with you despite him saying that Taubes (and therefore people who use the same arguments as Taubes) is promoting "pseudo-science" and who argues his points like he's a "Grade 9 student writing a high school science project". Oh yes, he just can't stop gushing about Taubes' wonderful theories!

.... Why We Get Fat is certainly a book that will appeal to the masses as it pseudo-scientifically preaches that carbs are a magic food and that if you eat almost none of them - the diet he recommends includes 20 grams (less than an ounce) a day - you'll magically lose weight. Perhaps more appealingly, Taubes and Why We Get Fat also preach that you can eat as much fat and protein and you want and you'll never gain. Of course that's pretty much identical to the original Atkins' diet, and virtually all of the diets that Taubes himself references. [...]

At the end of the day Why We Get Fat's likely fate is to serve as the book for the next century's Taubes to point at, just as Taubes pointed at Banting's, in discussing how science has overlooked the horrors of carbs. Nothing new to see here, it's just another magic diet book.

The question that bothered me most throughout the book wasn't about carbs or thermodynamics, but rather why has Taubes chosen to argue his points like he's a Grade 9 student writing a high school science project rather than a well respected, scientific journalist? Some have suggested it's simply to sell books and have acerbically changed his name to Gary Taube$. I don't know, I think he was probably already doing pretty well for himself before this book was published. Perhaps the best explanation for why Taubes seems to have abandoned thoughtful journalism in place of this mess is his comment near the end of the book,

"One problem here is that when people, experts or not, decide to review the evidence on an issue dear to their hearts (me included), they tend to see what they want to see. This is human nature, but it doesn't lead to trustworthy conclusions."

Well said, and readers of this book, are best advised not to forget it.

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:16
(0)

CS Original

You're a vegan, no, you don't say!

Thanks for telling me what I'm going to do, you're really good at knowing exactly everything that's going on in the world and what people's motives are. You're a real Kreskin.

Fine Ed, it's a big conspiracy, because even if something is popular, that automatically makes it true, and everything else is a conspiracy theory.

Since veganism is unpopular, doesn't that make it a conspiracy theory too? Oh no!

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:21
(0)

Oooh baby, baby, baby, baby, ... EEE baby, baby, baby.

Level: 1
CS Original

This upcoming derailed and wasteful topic brought to you by Ed, responsible for former wonders such as:

http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/forums/topic/macdonalds-prices-may-rise<br /> http://conspiracies.skepticproject.com/forums/topic/i-used-to-think-drug-legalization-was-a-good-thing</p>

Great a dope smoking vegan who opposes fast food is going to educate us all on what he thinks is best in regard to diet. We should feel blessed.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:24
(0)

CS Original

I didn't tell you what you're going to do, I said you will *probably* ignore it. I wonder why I would I think that?

Maybe because you just admitted you completely ignored the whole article I posted, but with such sloppy distain you didn't even just admit you ignored it, but chose instead to cheery pick a single line in the first paragraph that seemed to say something about agreeing that we eat too many carbs and this impacts our weight while ignoring the fact that he concludes after giving various reasons, that Taubes is promoting "pseudoscience" and his book is "just another magic diet book.". Yet, he "agrees" with you.... I guess we can ignore Global Warming deniers as soon as we read that they agree that the earth does warm, I guess they agree with Global Warming. Or, I guess we can stop reading anything by Creationists when they first say that micro evolution does happen. Just what do they mean when they say those things? Who cares, right? It sort of sounds like they agree with me so I can just stop reading and say they do. There, that was easy.

Fine Ed, it's a big conspiracy, because even if something is popular, that automatically makes it true, and everything else is a conspiracy theory.

Spoken like a true CT! Could it be there's a *reason* why the mainstream view does not agree with yours? Don't you want to find out why?

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:25
(0)

CS Original

Hey Eric, I neither smoke dope and I'm not a vegan, in fact I'm not even a vegetarian. Cheers. I am also happy to have been proven wrong about the dangers of cannabis, I've said so before too. No idea where you got the idea I was a vegan though, I believe even in that thread you linked to I said I liked to eat at McDonalds and love Big Mac's.

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:25
(0)

CS Original

Why is it the mainstream doesn't agree with you then? Don't you want to find out why?

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:28
(0)

CS Original

The mainstream does agree with me... that's my question to *you.*

#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:31
(0)

CS Original

I think I'd much rather know why talking about something not mainstream is a conspiracy theory, arguing that point makes one a conspiracy theorist, unless of course you're arguing it. I'm glad though you now agree you were completely wrong in the anti-legalization thread and the pro-fast food thread.

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:32
(0)

Oooh baby, baby, baby, baby, ... EEE baby, baby, baby.

Level: 1
CS Original

Hey Eric, I neither smoke dope and I'm not a vegan

I apologize, I misread on the vegan thing above. As for the dope smoking, you've mentioned many times on this forum that you in fact smoke marijuana, were you lying?

#29 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jun 22, 2011 - 09:35
(0)

CS Original

As for the dope smoking, you've mentioned many times on this forum that you in fact smoke marijuana, were you lying?

There's a difference between the past and the present Eric.

#30 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]