Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - RIBA comes under fire for hosting 'bonkers' 9/11 talk

Tags: 9/11, September 11th, stupidity, Freedom of Speech [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to 9/11 Can | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Jun 25, 2011 - 11:29
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

This was originally posted to the Facebook group, but I thought it should be shared here.

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/riba-comes-under-fire-for-hosting-%E2%80%98bonkers%E2%80%99-9/11-talk/5020382.article

They love telling us how they've got 1,500 architects and engineers on their list, despite there being millions of them in the world, nothing like having a 100th of a percent to really matter.

----

One of the comments is so stupid:

Laura Roberts | 24 June 2011 10:31 am

What part of "RIBA never endorses, sponsors or publicises private events held in its buildings" do some people not understand? This was a pure matter of a venue booking, nothing else. The "outcry" is from those who say they believe in freedom of speech, as long as that freedom is exercised in a little cell with no audience somewhere. Debating whether this group is right or wrong should be irrelevant. The issue is: can RIBA only rent out space to those groups who have a position that all its members agree with? Before every booking, they'd like a ballot perhaps, just to be sure? I could book the terrace for my birthday. Would you like to question me first for my beliefs on architecture, 9/11, UK planning laws, social housing provision, the Carbuncle awards etc first before allowing me to do so? This is precisely the kind of event that should freely be allowed to take place at RIBA. Moving on to the secondary issue of the actual subject matter - if you disagree with them, you should go and openly challenge them then via the opportunity laid at your feet by their public meeting in a room at RIBA. Did you objectors go? If not, why not exactly?

This person is clearly against freedom, because they seem to believe that private clubs and libraries, like the RIBA should be forced to allow anyone to do and say whatever they want. Sorry, Laura, but in the real world private institutions have the right to exclude people, or does this mean I can come into your home or place of business and talk non-stop about shit you disagree with and there's nothing you can do about it?

People like Laura confuse freedom of speech and freedom from speech, just because you have something to say, doesn't mean anyone's required to listen, especially if it's stupid.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: Jun 25, 2011 - 11:38
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

People think the First Amendment regulates private behavior. It does not.

If you walk into my apartment and start spouting conspiracy theories, I'll ask you to leave. The First Amendment doesn't apply because I'm not the state and my apartment isn't a public venue. The First Amendment doesn't work that way and it never has.

Most people are profoundly ignorant of this reality.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jun 25, 2011 - 12:20
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

The reality is inconvenient to people who try to argue contrary to this position.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]