Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Iceland says no, again. - Page 2

Tags: FAIL THREAD IS FAIL, BORING THREAD IS BORING, iceland, dead vikings, icelandic, Bjork sucks, Iceland is a poor man's Norway, "I wish I were Denmark", not a single fuck was given this day, Mums gone to iceland [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Discussion | Reply to Topic ]
EzPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 05:14
(0)

Level: 3
CS Original

Yes but if a democratic government is formed, there is no guarantee that those rights will remain with France, so as you said it is definitely risky.

However I don't see anything wrong with that, France isn't going to use their manpower and resources (and make themselves look bad for intervening) for nothing.

#31 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 05:51
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

I think you have a somewhat paranoid view of the world, really, you cannot really compare Iceland to Libya in any practical way.

#32 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Evil ElvisPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 06:25
(0)

STFU!

Level: 1
CS Original

Why not? Nothing paranoid about this, just the way things work. It's a risk and usually those who get somewhere first get rewarded.

#33 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 07:24
(0)

CS Original

It's paranoid because the West is hardly going to intervene that heavily in the affairs of a democratic state in relatively good economic standing. There will be some diplomatic consequences, yes, but that's about as far as it'll go.

#34 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Evil ElvisPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 07:33
(0)

STFU!

Level: 1
CS Original

Heavily? They signed the agreement for natural resources exploitation and a day later bombed the carp out of the good colonel. What more do you want :-)

#35 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 08:37
(0)

CS Original

Did you hear that? They bombed the carp out of the colonel.

#36 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 08:37
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

this thread sucks.

#37 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 09:23
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Kaiser is correct.

#38 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 13:55
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original
Iceland has one of the highest rates of belief in evolution and rejection of creationism.

So did the Soviet Union.

Haha. Good on them.

It's also completely powered on geothermal and hydroelectric.

Geothermal increases earthquakes, it's not perfection, and hydroelectric can hurt wild life and ruin low lying villages (see China).

Who said it was perfect? At least it doesn't contribute to climate change like oil does.

It also has a very low Gini coefficient (= equal wealth distribution).

Again so did the Soviet Union.

So does your mom. That's why I like her. She likes to spread the wealth.

I just went there last month. You can check out the pictures on my facebook

Braggart!

See, I can be a fancy-pants negative Nancy too.

That was more of a full disclosure than bragging haha.

Anyway, my point was that Iceland ain't a bad country. And the scenery is nice, even when it's covered in snow

#39 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 14:06
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I'm pretty sure earthquakes are as ecologically devastating as climate change.

I know you like Iceland and everything, but that was a shit point.

#40 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 14:17
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

The highly subjective, and perhaps even normative, aesthetic qualities aside, this thread really just lacks any sort of value despite the level of importance that seems to be ascribed to it in many of the posts made by certain authors. In evaluating the "merit" or "importance" of the country of Iceland we find a tremendously varying set of metrics upon which to base any judgements, and that is precisely why I think this thread sucks. Geopolitically, Iceland has remarkably little worth in and of itself and what happens in iceland really does little to change the power calculations made by verious state apparatuses. Perhaps such a statement rests on a neo-Realist evaluation, but it is not a trivial one to make. The point being, anyone claiming that what Iceland does, politically, matters in terms of broader political issues has a tremendous amount of proof to procure. This is tantamount to the arguments that Australia as a country carries signifcant weight, by prestige or material influence, which inevitably have to be qualified and requalified to the point of absurdity and uselessness. Moral of the story, arguments about political comparisons are worthless unless one is ready to rigorously demonstrate cultural-politico transferance in a meaningful way. As for this remarkably deficient fetish of saying icelandic people are "sovereign" there is a clear, perhaps blatant, disregard for the intracacies of social contract theory in "the West" as well as a demonstration of a normative Occidentalization of political life. Its just dumb. Its also a statement made without understanding that "sovereignty" is immediately undone in a variety of analyitical approaches and thus is really a stupid thing to say unless there is a rigorous disassembly of these critiques. Consider Foucault's biopolitics and questions of state technologies that actually create latent webs of power even when the "people" or "citizenry" appear to be "soveriegn." Its just a stupid thing to say and rests, again, on an normative occidentalization of the complexities of political philosophy and thought. This thread sucks.

#41 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 14:20
(0)

CS Original

@Matt, Meh, kinda hard to compare, don't you think? Iceland doesn't have much ecology either way haha. What, you think all the fabio horses are going to die from an earthquake?

That's all they got over there.

By the way, this horse has a hilarious gait. Look it up on youtube, "Icelandic horse"

#42 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 14:23
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Because earthquakes only impact the immediately surrounding areas, just like the recent one in Japan.

OSHI-

#43 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 16:17
(0)

CS Original

Oh yeah? Well at least you can make a spa out of the runoff from a geothermal power plant (Blue Lagoon, lovely, by the way). Try doing that with a nuclear power plant ;)

#44 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 16:20
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I don't want to go to a spa.

#45 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 17:58
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

Yeah, all that therapeutic mud would get all up in his beard and make him cranky!

#46 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 18:30
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I've fought men on the Internet for less!

#47 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 19:59
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

A thread about Iceland...wow just when I thought it was safe to return here I am greeted by this crap.

Idealism about how its great to live in another country always amuses me, chances are people in Iceland want to live somewhere else themselves because its better there too.

#48 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 20:22
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

^ also this.

#49 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 20:28
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original
#50 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 20:35
(0)

CS Original

Kaiser. Your post above sucks. Don't you know that it's nauseating to read text that hasn't been formatted into paragraphs and the like?

*vomit*

...chances are people in Iceland want to live somewhere else themselves because its better there too.

That's likely. I had an English teacher in early high-school who escaped East Germany and she talked about this. She said that many people "dislike" their own country because they've seen it for such a long period of time and have an ideal about new places and new surroundings. I'm sure that's true for peoples of all countries.
But then again, at the same time, the country does have perfect infrastructure, among other things, so... there's one reason to be more happy than many other countries (compare with many areas of America's infrastructure which is in a state needing desperate help).
Most Icelanders I know right now are pretty darn happy with their country. Considering they were supposed to go into major financial problems for a long time, it's pretty monumental that they're almost out of them entirely within a few years and have their economy where it was in around 2002. Granted, it's arguably easier to fix a smaller economy than a far larger one such as America's.
And of course Icelanders' sovereignty rests on political philosophy. The entire status of each individual is derived from a document. A political document.

#51 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 20:38
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Brenton has many Icelandic friends in Australia.

#52 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 20:43
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

Paragraphs are for conformist cowards. The wall of text speaks no untruth. Let this stupid thread die

And of course Icelanders' sovereignty rests on political philosophy. The entire status of each individual is derived from a document. A political document.

You missed the point entirely. Please try again.

#53 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 21:16
(0)

CS Original

The first I made were in Australia. I grew up in a rural center where lots of backpackers came to in the summer.

#54 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 21:48
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I don't understand what living in redneck Australia has to do with anything.

#55 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 22:43
(0)

CS Original

Just pointing out that you were right, Matt.

#56 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 12, 2011 - 23:01
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

You're weird Brenton.

#57 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
BrentonPosted: Apr 13, 2011 - 02:46
(0)

CS Original

Pretty much. #PawsUp

#58 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Apr 13, 2011 - 03:39
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original

@(Pretty Please) Ed?

#59 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Apr 13, 2011 - 12:02
(0)

CS Original

For the record, I didn't say I wanted to live there...the women are too tall

#60 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]