Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - An atheist's conduct.

Tags: Atheist, Dawkins, Hitchens, Religion, Young idealist hobbit, Memes [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Discussion | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:32
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

Level: 8
CS Original

I've had several unpleasant run ins with some of the more religious people at my school. Usually I just refuse to argue, or pwn, or look bad (caught off guard) but it's got me thinking.

I also wore a tag that said "ATHEIST" in big fat letters for a week. That was fun.

How does the ideal atheist behave?

Is it okay to "preach" atheism, if you will?

C. Hitchens and Dawkins are prominent atheists. Thoughts on their approach and stance?

I'll start and honestly say that the world would probably be much better with no religion in it.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
duncanlecombrePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:36
(0)

Level: 2
CS Original

I believe the word atheist is sort of a generic term, many atheists would have different points of view on conduct, also I would argue that atheism is a religious view (or lack of) to an extent. Even if you don't believe in religion you believe in something that explains the world around us.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:47
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

^ I have some trouble with how you apply the term "believe".

As a rational agnostic atheist, I don't "believe" in evolution, astronomy, current physics, etc., and neither do scholars and scientists.
Rather, I (and they) accept them as valid explanations for the observations we find.

"Believe" in the religious sense is to apply faith to an unchanging explanation, which is completely different, not to mention incompatible with how you're applying it.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:50
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

CS Original

Atheists can be just as obnoxious as Evangelicals. I sort of take the Penn Jillette position, which is feel free to talk about it, but don't try to convert people, and be tolerant of those who disagree, and be honest when people ask you about your atheism. Most importantly, don't take yourself too fucking seriously.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:54
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

Why not try to convert, so long as it's honest?

I'd totally be fine with people preaching atheism, when done appropriately.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:56
(0)

CS Original

Oh ye of young naïveté.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:58
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

I don't see the problem there.

Seminar titled, "Why atheism is awesome and why you should be one" with a competent speaker.

What I'm getting at is that there's no real effort in doing that. I wonder why.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 22, 2011 - 01:00
(0)

CS Original

Because it's obnoxious, like those banners people spend thousands of dollars on to say "There is no god." If you're in America (and you are), I'd say 99% of the time you're just going to annoy the hell out of people, and not help anyone, let alone yourself.

Converting people to atheism won't better the world at all, because people who are likely to become atheists probably didn't give their money to religious groups anyway, and probably didn't worry about god, jesus, or anything else.

Let's get down to brass tacks: If you're looking to just be able to pat yourself on the back, then just admit that, but you're not actually accomplishing anything useful at all.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 01:03
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

I wish I could delete Roxette's posts and assume her material as my own.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 22, 2011 - 01:05
(0)

CS Original

My point is just that annoying people isn't the best way to win support for atheism.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 01:06
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

And the best way is....?

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 22, 2011 - 01:09
(0)

CS Original

Just be open and honest, and show that even as an atheist you can be a good person, that you don't need religion to have morality. If you build it, they will come. I imagine that Penn Jilette has won more hearts and minds for atheism by doing just that, than those guys in the UK who put up signs all over buses, telling people there's no god.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: May 22, 2011 - 01:18
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

Hitchens is vile. I never understood why atheists look up to him. As a former atheist myself, even when I was a hard-core anti-religionist I wished he would just STFU because every time he opened his mouth and exposed his rotted tobacco-stained teeth he just embarrassed everybody.

Reasonable atheists make some extremely valid points, but Hitchens is just...gross.

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: May 22, 2011 - 02:00
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

I don't worry about theists, but I do worry about creationists. There are many great theists such as Kenneth Miller who have heroically fought back against creationist irrationality, and defended the integrity of science. What purpose would be served by converting Miller to atheism? Who cares if people want to believe in a higher power as long as they aren't attacking science, or pushing their beliefs down your throat?

I would worry less about converting people to atheism and worry more about defending science.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: May 22, 2011 - 02:02
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

CS Original

@Muertos

As a former atheist myself

So you went back to Christianity?

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: May 22, 2011 - 02:24
(0)

CS Original

//also I would argue that atheism is a religious view (or lack of) to an extent.Even if you don't believe in religion you believe in something that explains the world around us.//

This needs to be defined better, what exactly do you mean by believing in something? Evolution? Big Bang? The Standard Model? As an atheist what I accept in science is no different than what a rational theist accepts. I just don't see how my acceptance of scientific facts as the basis that explains the world around me places me in the religious category.

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GenogzaPosted: May 22, 2011 - 02:50
(0)

Life's Too Short

Level: 1
CS Original

""Hitchens is vile. I never understood why atheists look up to him. As a former atheist myself, even when I was a hard-core anti-religionist I wished he would just STFU because every time he opened his mouth and exposed his rotted tobacco-stained teeth he just embarrassed everybody.

Reasonable atheists make some extremely valid points, but Hitchens is just...gross.""

Couldn't agree more. Dawkins has become more and more like this too the past few years.

As for your post, Kepp: Because ideology is still ideology.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: May 22, 2011 - 03:05
(0)

CS Original

//As for your post, Kepp: Because ideology is still ideology.//

We were discussing religion, not ideology. Ideology doesn't require a religion. But anyway, while atheism can be part of a religion, it isn't a religion on its own. You can also replace religion with ideology in the last sentence.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MainStreamManPosted: May 22, 2011 - 03:33
(0)

Level: 0

The worst fundamentalists I have come across are, by far, zeitards and/or Fresco sycophants. Really.

I definitely agree with Genogza, Dawkins is getting more and more obnoxious as he ages, as well as quite dangerous, with his populist oversimplification of religion.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: May 22, 2011 - 04:11
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original

Is it okay to "preach" atheism, if you will?

Depends. I treat it like any other bullshit belief, if somebody tells me they believe in astrology, I call them out on it.
If they don't tell me, I won't act like a dick by trying really hard to bring it up.

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: May 22, 2011 - 10:08
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Hitchens is a hilarious troll. Either you think he's funny or you don't. Also I think people tend to let his politics color their opinion of him, and since I don't have a problem with his politics they don't bother me.

With that said, don't try converting believers to atheism. It doesn't work. If someone tries to preach to you, tell them you're not interested and walk away.

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: May 22, 2011 - 10:33
(0)

CS Original

I personally like both Dawkins and Hitchens. Would I mimic either of these guys behavior towards theists? No.

I've read a few of Dawkins books, the guy is brilliant. I think his problem is that he isn't good at debating/interacting with theists. Hitchens on the other hand is awesome in debates, but I can see how he would piss people off. Especially religious people. I plan on picking up Hitchen's god is not great in the near future.

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: May 22, 2011 - 12:05
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

Dawkins is pretty much in line with the model of thought that emerged from cybernetic theory after the second world war, and its hard for me not to see his viewpoint's genealogy as being very much colored by that. Dawkins' theory of memes is also of further interest because it is predicated not on a rigorous understanding of culture and social life and is instead an extended metaphor. I read the selfish gene two or three years ago, and at first couldn't quite get why he was using "memes" to explain his theory. But as I continuously revisit the world of scientists who try to enter an explanation of social phenomenon I have become aware of the extent to which they rely on metaphor to do this work. And if I have learned one thing this year, it has been to be wary of people using metaphors to explain the world.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
MuertosPosted: May 22, 2011 - 12:28
(0)

Paid Disinformation Blogger

Level: 14
CS Original

@2012: I am not a Christian.

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: May 22, 2011 - 12:36
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Muertos is a Mormon.

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: May 22, 2011 - 12:37
(0)

CS Original

MUERTOS IS A CRYPTO JEW

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 23:35
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original
#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: May 23, 2011 - 12:32
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

I am anti-religion, but the most I'll do is debate theists or creationists (and I'd debate AGW deniers if I was more knowledgeable about it). But I'm really more focused on promoting skepticism, empiricism, and critical thinking, because that is the deeper issue, I believe. I think we have a responsibility towards each other to act rationally, and that can only happen if we have rational beliefs. Since I live in a democracy, what my fellow citizens believe can have a profound effect on me and the rest of the world. And I'll be damned if Christian fundamentalists and oil industry interests continue to convince people not to act on global warming..

in other words...conduct yourself accordingly to the severity of the situation

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
scitopsPosted: May 23, 2011 - 12:41
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

Has anybody noticed that Hitchens and Dawkins biggest backers tend to come from more fundamentalist homes where they came to hate religion based on the narrow minded belief that non-fundies go to hell?

#29 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 23, 2011 - 14:37
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

^ domokato's post = WIN.

I think Dawkins is also very willing to gnash the bullet when no one else is.

Science/Reason/Logic/Skepticism is corrosive to faith and religious belief.

Martin Luther also said that "reason is the enemy of faith."

And yet, those things are pushing humanity down the line of development, and most people will continue them because of that. If that means that it makes people abandon faith and religion in droves, then perhaps we're all a little anti-religion, in a more subtle way.

#30 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]