Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - REPENT RAPTURE COMING!!

Tags: to do, KJV, King James Version, Lost in translation [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Discussion | Reply to Topic ]
IssueCannonPosted: May 20, 2011 - 16:23
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

I'm sure you have all heard it by now, the rapture happens later today.

There are two things I am worried about this, one is that if an earthquake, tsumani, and well ANY kind of natural diaster, will get the people who believe this crap even more hopeful that the rapture has come / gone, and will actually hope for the end in october 21st.

Second, is why am I worried that it will happen, I know it's bullcrap, yet there is a part of me that worries that it's going to happen, it's a confusing matter to say the least, i'm just concerned on being concerned about this crap.

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: May 20, 2011 - 16:26
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

I'll see you fuckers in Sto'Vo'Kor.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: May 20, 2011 - 16:45
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

IssueCannon be afraid, be very afraid !

Remember the book of god was written, edited, and abridged by humans who were from the dark ages and beyond. Any additional interpretation after this is simply misinformed human beings once again looking back in time at other misinformed human beings and then using their interpreatation of the past to try to predict the future. Its totally ludicrous when you look at it in its basics.

Noone can predict the future, there is not a human being alive with the ability, and there is no human being alive able to prove that the word of the bible is truth.

The only thing you should be worried about is how the nutcases who believe this will react and attribute a natural disaster to their belief. A natural disaster in all reality is a likely event on this turbulant planet. Of course it will be completely unrelated to their fascination with the end of the world.

By the way I am willing to bet these tools think the end of the worlds clock starts in the USA time zone, they probably ignore the fact other countries are half a day ahead of them and the 21st has already begun.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
IssueCannonPosted: May 20, 2011 - 21:17
(0)

Level: 0
CS Original

I have no idea why I got worked up over it, kinda strange really, usually I shrug things like this off all the time, but recently I have been hyped up about everything.

Also thanks Anticultist.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: May 20, 2011 - 21:25
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

This isn't the first time Camping has predicted the rapture. He's been wrong before and he's wrong again.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: May 20, 2011 - 21:46
(0)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: May 21, 2011 - 00:20
(0)

Hybrid

Level: 2

How does the rapture work anyway? Do they all just sort of gently and softly float up and away? I imagine it would get cold pretty quick not to mention hard to breathe. I always pictured it more like a giant hoover vac swooping by but I could be wrong.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: May 21, 2011 - 05:04
(0)

CS Original

suprise suprise not a single thing happening.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: May 21, 2011 - 07:00
(0)

Hybrid

Darn, I was hoping to wake up and find millions of annoying people gone.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 21, 2011 - 07:04
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

The rapture isn't even in the fucking bible, it was made up in the 1830s by dispensationalists, and it flies in the face with other predictions laid out in the Book of Revelation, which states even Christians will suffer the wrath of the anti-Christ. So, riddle me this Jesus-freaks, how can they suffer along side non-believers AND be magically whisked away to heaven?

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: May 21, 2011 - 07:05
(0)

Level: 10
CS Original

Maybe Camping will just pretend it happened anyway....

"Well Christians it is truly a glorious day! Hallelujah! We have long waited for this day and our faith has been rewarded. Praise be... to SATAN!! MUHAHAHAHAH"

wait what?

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: May 21, 2011 - 07:08
(0)

CS Original

Or maybe the believers will convince the world with a mass coordinated elaborate game of hide and seek, where they all sneak of in the night to an undisclosed hideout in the wilderness for the rest of their living days.

As Alexastorm said best would have been nice to have ridden ourselves of all those annoying twits.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: May 21, 2011 - 07:12
(0)

Hybrid

Something not being in the bible has never stopped anyone. Think limbo, purgatory, baptizing infants...

Ed> that would be pretty funny to watch. I'm really interested in hearing what some of these people have to say now. I might have to go over to the flea market and see if our two town kooks are out and about.

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
duncanlecombrePosted: May 21, 2011 - 21:24
(0)

CS Original

Matthew 24:36 says, "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

Maybe people who believe in the bible should spend more time reading it and less time doing random math equations and making up crap.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: May 21, 2011 - 21:41
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

But I thought the bible was all about making up crap.

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: May 21, 2011 - 21:45
(0)

CS Original

I find it amusing when these guys look for secret codes in the English translated version of the bible, and not in the original language.

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 21, 2011 - 23:48
(0)

CS Original

@Kepp,

There's a surprising number of people (Americans) who believe that the King James Version is the most accurate version of the bible, even more accurate than the original Aramaic, Hebrew, and Greek it was written in. I fucking kid you not, god speaks James Court English.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 21, 2011 - 23:59
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

It's fucking hilarious too when you consider that a lot of hidden meanings, rhymes, and puns were lost as it was translated.

Apparently Koine Greek versions of the bible are amusing because the words for "good" and "evil" were almost exactly the same.

^I could be wrong on the exact language though.

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:01
(0)

CS Original

God is a 'merican.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:03
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

It's 1 AM EST and no rapture or world ending.

Idiots.

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
duncanlecombrePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:39
(0)

CS Original

King James in my opinion is 'better' the the new international version, which I tend to find is more common with people I run into, I'm thinking cause its an easier read. I wouldn't be surprised if Family Radio based everything off that version.

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:45
(0)

CS Original

I'm not sure how King James Version is easier to read with its 16th century English grammar that wasn't even used by actual English speakers, rather just rich ass lords and vassals. KJV creates a lot of misinformation if you try to take it literally, for example almost every use of the word "heaven" in the original pre-translated text is actually "sky."

KJV seems to me, since the wording today is so unusual from what we're used to, creates an easy way for extremely obscure interpretation, or as I like to say "making shit up." For example, the rapture not actually being mentioned at all, but various vague references throughout the Bible are used as evidence of it. The reference to a tree or bush growing is used by people like Pat Robertson as proof that Israel must exist for Jesus to return.

But of course, it's all literal, unless it flies in the face of what we want to promote, then we either make shit up or ignore it.

And Family Radio uses only KJV, they even give them away for free if you ask. They give out non-English translations that are translated from KJV so they're even more obscure.

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:50
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

I'm sure Muslims enjoy having the advantage in this respect.

Apparently a Koran must be in Arabic or it's not valid.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 22, 2011 - 00:52
(0)

CS Original

No, interpretation can only come from the original Arabic, but Korans are available in nearly every written language that exists. I imagine if Christians did the same thing with their Bible, they'd be a lot closer to Orthodox Judaism like they used to be.

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: May 22, 2011 - 01:16
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

Those flowing letters look fucking awesome though!

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
duncanlecombrePosted: May 23, 2011 - 01:26
(0)

CS Original

I said the new international version was easier to read not the king James version, they get rid of all the thy's and thou's, but add stuff like the word hades for hell, I think that is why Christian Hell is often thought of as the Greek mythological version of Hades, as in eternal torture. Christian scholars are often split between weather or not hell is eternal torture like we are all accustomed to or just death. Forgive me for not having the verses handy..........the bible explains that the body will die, then the unsaved will experience the fire of hell, which is the second death, that line is coupled with an analogy about burning a bad crop or something. To me that sounds like you just die and don't exist. Anyway I digress I was just pointing out subtle difference's in even English bibles.

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Evil ElvisPosted: May 23, 2011 - 03:34
(0)

STFU!

Level: 1
CS Original

Have I missed the Rapture? Again? Damn.

#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: May 23, 2011 - 06:47
(0)

Hybrid

duncan> I've got a number of pretty good reference books hiding somewhere on my 3rd floor. Haven't touched them in years so I'm a bit sketchy but I'm giving it a shot. The original idea of hell comes from Gehenna, a city that kept a constant fire burning as a way to get rid of all rubbish. Fire completely consumed whatever was tossed in so a person ending up in Gehenna meant permanent death. No eternal torture, just gone. The Christian hell is often thought of a place of torture because that's what the church wanted people to think. The church was in control for over 400 years before this concept of hell as eternal torment was introduced. Control through fear.

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: May 23, 2011 - 07:06
(0)

CS Original

Sorry, I thought you were saying the opposite.

#29 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: May 23, 2011 - 12:15
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/under-god/post/harold-camping-speaks-after-rapture-fails-to-begin-on-may-21/2011/05/23/AFxMIp9G_blog.html</p>

Retired MTA worker Robert Fitzpatrick, who spent his life savings spreading the message, said to Reuters after the promised event failed to manifest:

“I do not understand why. . .,” as his speech broke off and he looked at his watch.

“I do not understand why nothing has happened.”

#30 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]