Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Nepalese woman accused of witchcraft and burned alive

Tags: Witchcraft, wtf [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Discussion | Reply to Topic ]
LockePosted: Feb 18, 2012 - 22:12
(0)

Level: 0
Someone should remind these people that it's 2012 and not 1612...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/18/world/asia/nepal-witchcraft-burning/index.html?hpt=hp_t3
#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
emcadaPosted: Feb 19, 2012 - 18:50
(0)

Well this isn't the USA for one. Do Nepalese still believe in witches?
#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Feb 19, 2012 - 21:41
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original
Quote from emcada

Well this isn't the USA for one. Do Nepalese still believe in witches?

Yes. Belief in witchcraft is not narrowly defined in the way european witches are defined. In fact, beliefs in witch craft have existed, and continue to exist, across cultures. James Siegels "Naming the Witch" deals with witchcraft historically as well as contemporarily in Java. "Witches" are defined differently and operate along slightly different registers.
#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
emcadaPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 18:22
(0)

Quote from Kaiser Falkner

Yes. Belief in witchcraft is not narrowly defined in the way european witches are defined. In fact, beliefs in witch craft have existed, and continue to exist, across cultures. James Siegels "Naming the Witch" deals with witchcraft historically as well as contemporarily in Java. "Witches" are defined differently and operate along slightly different registers.

So I guess Nepalese don't like witches at all. What did you mean by in Java anyways Kaiser?
#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Feb 20, 2012 - 21:43
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original
In post Suharto Indonesia, the instances of mob violence among individuals was reported, especially in Java. Witches, in Java, are understood to be people who have been infiltrated by death and have the capacity to redirect deaths powers onto others. Now of course we had news coverage on the matter , but I think some of the best exploration on the subject came from the Siegel book I mentioned above. I wrote papers on the psychodynamics of witch craft as explored by Siegel, but I would recommend his book for a lucid exploration of the subject. I also highly recommend Evans-Pritchards Withcraft among the Azande to understand that witchcraft is often actually synonymous with our notions of "bad luck," though Evans-Pritchard's analysis does suffer from some pretty basic critiques.
#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]