Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Equality for American Atheists? Or just annoying attacks on religon?

Tags: Atheist, Religion, Hobbits gone wild [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Discussion | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 11:58
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

Level: 8
CS Original

It seems to me that while atheists and nonreligious folk are a significant percentage of the US population, many of the activists are more focused on attacking religion rather than seeking to be equal.

It's something that came up in my mind after seeing a Daily Show montage of leftist bashing by Fox News, with "godless" being among some of the insults.

What say you?

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 12:12
(0)

Brainwashing you for money

Level: 15
CS Original

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 12:31
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

lolwut?

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
GreedoPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 13:50
(0)

Level: 1

Why would atheists want to be equal with religion?

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 14:02
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

I don't feel discriminated against as an atheist so I don't see an equality problem.

Atheist activists should be focusing on issues such as attacks on science and legislation based on religion. Attacks on things like christmas are fucking retarded. As an atheist I love christmas and I like saying merry christmas. I also put up a nativity scene under my tree, its nice. We aren't trying to remove witches from halloween so leave christmas alone!

Billboards saying "god isn't real" are also fucking stupid and annoying.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 16:58
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

Maybe I'm just getting pissy with the far right in the USA.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:02
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

@ Greedo

I don't know about Europe, but in the USA there's at least 5 states where state law prohibits atheists from serving in public office.

This is unconstitutional, and it's discriminating someone by their lack of religion.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:06
(0)

CS Original

Atheists bash evangelicals as much as evangelicals bash atheists.

My pictures suggest that they're both as stupid as one another if they enter into those kind of endless philosophical debates with one another. As the first picture declares right way or wrong way, they are both on the very same retarded endless 2.2 mile loop doomed to bump into one another for yet another repeated conflict.

Bugs bunny vs Daffy duck should put it into perspective for you now I think.

Basically who gives a fuck what you believe, if what you believe makes you an argumentative jack ass its not your belief thats to blame.

As far as the discrimination goes, would you really want to work in a place surrounded by religious people trying to save your soul and indoctrinate you into the cult every second of every day ?

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:13
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

I'm not talking about who's right or wrong, I'm talking about not being treated like shit.

Gays aren't campaigning by saying being that being gay is right. They're campaigning by saying that there's nothing wrong with being gay, and so atheists should take a lesson from that when being active.

:3

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:26
(0)

Oooh baby, baby, baby, baby, ... EEE baby, baby, baby.

CS Original

To be young and idealistic.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:30
(0)

CS Original

Still your argument that 5 states prohibit atheists from entering into public office is unjust, but like I said if your beliefs are so strong that you are willing to argue with every fucker who says something you disagree with inspite of it having the chance of ruining your lively hood then to be honest the biggest fool is who ?

If all it takes is you to say yeah I believe in a god to get a job and its an essential job to keep you alive then you lie. If the job is not essential and its a matter of principle to you but you can easily get a job elsewhere, then get a job elsewhere and quit whining.

Thats how I see it.

As far as I am aware America has quite a high percentage of religious biggots, it is of no suprise to me that your country has such backward legislation in some of its states

It is bigotry and should not be tolerated, but the problem is who in their right mind wants to be surrounded by bigots everyday ? In my opinion any atheist who enters into a job position of such strict and ridiculous demands is as foolish as the religious person making the demands.

It would be far simpler to avoid the conflict and wait for the bigotry to be stopped via rational legislation.

Your comparison of gays and atheists is actually non comparative, its not like you are born an atheist and can not help yourself, a gay person cant just stop liking members of the same sex.

Atheists can and sometimes do change their mind on God, Muertos is an example of such a person.

Bottom line:
Atheists can easily get along with religious people if they have the correct mentality and social skills.

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:45
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

No, it is a valid comparison, because born with it or not, it's not inherently wrong to be gay or an atheist.

I don't see how orientation even matters in that light anyway, because some people are born atheists and there are plenty of straight people who realize they're really gay, and everywhere in between.

The lying about having a god thing is just fucking stupid, anti. I don't see how what you're saying is different from lying about your orientation or race so you can get elected into public office.

My bottom line: The United States is a secular republic and does not allow discrimination based on someone's faith or lack thereof. No one should evangelize, even atheists. But atheists deserve the chance to be who they are.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:46
(0)

CS Original

I don't believe there is anything for atheists really to campaign about that can't nor shouldn't be accomplished by a group of diverse secularists.

Joining an atheist only group is weird to me as I only identify as atheist for convenience. My atheism is a byproduct of my skepticism. I don't assert that god doesn't exist, I assert that there is no evidence that god exists. Much the same way as I do for ghosts, monsters, demons, telepathy, astrology etc etc. I don't see why atheism would deserve a special group.

Besides most atheists I meet replace belief in religion with belief in things I find equally or more irrational. Honestly I wouldn't want to associate with most of the atheists I've met.

but in the USA there's at least 5 states where state law prohibits atheists from serving in public office.

Last I remember it was 7? But that's really a trivial issue compared to what other groups such as gays have to face. I'm sure when those laws are challenged they will easily be overturned, not so easy for gays getting married.

I read and listen to guys like Sam Harris, Dawkins, Hitchens, and really like them. But its for my own personal enjoyment, not as a guide on how to be an atheist.

#13 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:51
(0)

CS Original

Are you seriously comparing the plight of homosexuals in America to that of atheists? Show me a list of atheists harassed at school, that commit suicide because they can't fit in with a society that says atheism is bad, or get beaten to death and dragged behind trucks for not believing in Jesus. Come on, grow the fuck up, seriously.

Atheists may not have it great in America, but they're definitely not worse off. A white, straight atheist male is still far better off in society and fits in more than a black, lesbian Christian would.

If you wish to be taken seriously, argue your point, don't piggy back on some other bigotry. You can't use bigotry of another group to justify your pissing and moaning about someone flipping you off or not hiring you because you're an atheist. I don't even think you've ever had a job or done anything in the real world, so I don't really trust your view of atheists there-in.

#14 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:56
(0)

CS Original

My point is the one you missed.

If you have to survive then you will do whatever is necessary to survive, if that means lieing then so be it, thats the way of the world. You get by and you move on to better places and people given the chance. If you are born into an environment where you are stuck, you do all you can to struggle out of the hardship. If that means being an atheist in a religious town, you do all you can to fit in till you can get the fuck out. Being a prick in everyones ass before you have any means to get out and do something on your own is quite simply foolish.

Thats what I am saying here, your points about 5 states being anti atheist obviously require some thought into how important a belief actually is if you dont have any fucking food on your table to eat, thats called being a responsible adult Omni. The willingness to sacrifice your beliefs for the better good of your existance.

Who is born an atheist ? You are not even born a theist, you are simply born with no concept of for or against the ideology. The idea you are born an atheist is comical even to me.

#15 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:57
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

Where did I say that atheists are as bad off or worse than gays? This is not a competition. I'm simply saying that atheists, like gays, should be saying that there's nothing wrong with them for being the way they are, and should follow their example.

That does not mean that atheists have the same hell that gays endure. I never nor will ever contest that gays are worse off (in the USA).

#16 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 17:58
(0)

CS Original

The real world doesn't care about hopeless idealism.

#17 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:01
(0)

CS Original

My question then is, who exactly are we telling that it's okay to be an atheist and why?

#18 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:06
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

@ Kepp

Can you rephrase that?

@Eric

Atheists should be saying there's nothing wrong with them because they're atheists.

#19 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:06
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

I'm simply saying that atheists, like gays, should be saying that there's nothing wrong with them for being the way they are, and should follow their example.

http://i52.tinypic.com/e9eudw.jpg" />

#20 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:14
(0)

CS Original

Can you rephrase that to be more specific?

I mean in general, what's all this about? Why do we need to march in groups like gays and demand people accept us? I just don't get where you are coming from. There is no anti atheist crisis.

#21 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:19
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

What I say (and mean) is that I think a lot of atheists spend their time attacking religion and evangelizing instead of just saying there's nothing inherently wrong with atheists for being atheistic. The current message that most activists say is shitty and needs change.

I'm not saying atheists have it as bad as gays.

I'm not saying we need an atheist revolution.

I'm not saying this needs massive organized action.

#22 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:20
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

What I say (and mean) is that I think a lot of atheists spend their time attacking religion and evangelizing

That's because the only people you know are teenagers.

#23 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
CyborgJesusPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:22
(0)

Level: 6
CS Original

Your comparison of gays and atheists is actually non comparative, its not like you are born an atheist and can not help yourself, a gay person cant just stop liking members of the same sex.

Nor can you choose to believe something that you don't. If personal experience changes your mind, that itself is an external event that you don't have any real control over.

#24 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:23
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

Atheism is an inherently violent and dangerous position. All atheists deserve the FEMA treatment.

#25 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:29
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

@ Matt

Probably.

#26 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Omni-SciencePosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:33
(0)

Ordo Ab Chao.

CS Original

@ Kaiser

Deists and theists are wimpy atheists. ;D

#27 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
anticultistPosted: Aug 04, 2011 - 18:38
(0)

CS Original

Neither can you choose to believe something that you don't. If personal experience changes your mind, that itself is an external event that you don't have any real control over.

I dont believe you.

#28 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]