Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - Just how did the bunny rabbit become the secular symbol of Easter?

Tags: to do, paganism [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Discussion | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 10:37
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Just+bunny+rabbit+become+secular+symbol+Easter/4655476/story.html

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Real RoxettePosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 15:22
(0)

There ARE more sluts in public schools. Shut up and let me explain.

Level: 8
CS Original

Surely this year I'll have a bountiful harvest! Organic farming and faith in polytheism are essentially the same sort of blind faith.

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
SkyPosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 16:22
(0)

Level: 3
CS Original

"Although the true origins of the Easter Bunny may remain lost in the mists of time, many point to the springtime celebrations of 13th-century Germany. One of the deities worshipped was Eostre, the goddess of spring and the dawn who has been portrayed as a comely maiden carrying a basket filled with dyed-red eggs and a pair of cuddly little baby hares."

I smell a large deposit of bullshit in this article. 13th-century Germany was Christian, not a bunch of Eostre worshipers.

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 16:28
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

In his 1882 Deutsche Mythologie, Jacob Grimm cites comparative evidence to reconstruct a potential continental Germanic goddess whose name would have been preserved in the Old High German name of Easter, Ôstarâ. Grimm is willing to take Bede's accounts of three pagan goddesses at face value, stating, "There is nothing improbable in them, nay the first of them is justified by clear traces in the vocabularies of Germanic tribes."

Specifically regarding Eostra, Grimm continues that:

We Germans to this day call April ostermonat, and ôstarmânoth is found as early as Eginhart (temp. Car. Mag.). The great christian festival, which usually falls in April or the end of March, bears in the oldest of OHG. remains the name ôstarâ [...], it is mostly found in the plural, because two days [...] were kept at Easter. This Ostarâ, like the [Anglo-Saxon] Eástre, must in heathen religion have denoted a higher being, whose worship was so firmly rooted, that the christian teachers tolerated the name, and applied it to one of their own grandest anniversaries.

Grimm notes that in the Old Norse Prose Edda book Gylfaginning, a male being by the name of Austri is attested, who Grimm describes as a "spirit of light." Grimm comments that a female version would have been Austra, yet that the High German and Saxon tribes seem to have only formed Ostarâ and Eástre, feminine, and not Ostaro and Eástra, masculine. Grimm additionally speculates on the nature of the goddess and surviving folk customs that may have been associated with her in Germany:

Ostara, Eástre seems therefore to have been the divinity of the radiant dawn, of upspringing light, a spectacle that brings joy and blessing, whose meaning could be easily adapted by the resurrection-day of the christian's God. Bonfires were lighted at Easter and according to popular belief of long standing, the moment the sun rises on Easter Sunday morning, he gives three joyful leaps, he dances for joy [...]. Water drawn on the Easter morning is, like that at Christmas, holy and healing [...]; here also heathen notions seems to have grafted themselves on great christian festivals. Maidens clothed in white, who at Easter, at the season of returning spring, show themselves in clefts of the rock and on mountains, are suggestive of the ancient goddess [...].[11]

In the second volume of Deutsche Mythologie, Grimm picks up the subject of Ostara again, connecting the goddess to various German Easter festivities, including Easter eggs:

But if we admit, goddesses, then, in addition to Nerthus, Ostara has the strongest claim to consideration. To what we said on p. 290 I can add some significant facts. The heathen Easter had much in common with May-feast and the reception of spring, particularly in matter of bonfires. Then, through long ages there seem to have lingered among the people Easter-games so-called, which the church itself had to tolerate : I allude especially to the custom of Easter eggs, and to the Easter tale which preachers told from the pulpit for the people's amusement, connecting it with Christian reminiscences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%92ostre

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
SkyPosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 16:36
(0)

CS Original

I don't understand what your point of copying that was, to me the first paragraph of that article says it all:

Old English Ēostre (also Ēastre) and Old High German Ôstarâ are the names of a putative Germanic goddess whose Anglo-Saxon month, Ēostur-monath (Old English "Ēostre month"), has given its name to the festival of Easter. Eostre is attested only by Bede, in his 8th century work De temporum ratione, where he states that Ēostur-monath was the equivalent to the month of April, and that feasts held in her honour during Ēostur-monath had died out by the time of his writing, replaced by the "Paschal month".

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 16:39
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

"I don't understand what your point of copying that was"

To add more to to your comment?

Settle down, son. No one is against you.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
SkyPosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 16:46
(0)

CS Original

My bad. I'm reading about this "pagan origin of Easter" stuff which I always assumed was true and it is starting to look like the kind of stuff Acharya S would come up with.

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 22, 2011 - 16:47
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

No worries broseph.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Apr 23, 2011 - 08:54
(0)

Hybrid

Level: 2

I meant to hop (no pun intended) in here last night but my battery was low and the day had been long and I figured it could wait. I'm going to commit a so called blasphemy here (yes, I'm Pagan) and say this: out of every 50 books/articles written on paganism, 49 of them aren't worth reading. The one Matt linked to was an example of a good one. I'm including the books written by Wiccans/witches/wannabes. We don't celebrate Easter but we do celebrate what some call Ostara and I simply call the spring equinox. Winter is over, very important to people that farm or live off the land as it mainly signifies the time of planting. You can add renewal and re-birth which makes it a fertility festival. How do bunnies and eggs fit in? I've read a number of theories and the simplest, most sensible to me, is that they're both signs of fertility. But so are a pot of dirt and handful of seeds. I could go on but I'm not interested in giving a discourse on paganism, I only do that when people ask for it. I simply wanted to point out that, just like any other subject, there is good writing and bad. Too many of these writings seems to enjoying stressing “the Christians stole our holiday” theme. This suggests an anti-Christian line of thinking and that's not what being Pagan is about. All religions have taken and incorporated beliefs and myths from others. Hell, most Wiccan practices are taken from traditional Native American. Okay, I'll stop now.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
SkyPosted: Apr 23, 2011 - 10:36
(0)

CS Original

The word "pagan" has always annoyed me because it is so meaningless. Pretty much all ancient religions outside Judaism, Christianity, and Islam get called pagan.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Apr 23, 2011 - 12:52
(0)

Hybrid

I tend to think of it as a generic label. I've delved a bit into Hinduism but am not Hindu. I've studied under two Lakota teachers and belong to a Sioux lodge yet I'm not Native American. Not by blood anyway. I'm far from being a Wiccan or Druid, I'm really a bit of a mutt spiritually and Pagan just fits best. I suppose I could make up a label for myself but that would be A)stupid and B)even more meaningless.

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 23, 2011 - 13:00
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I play a druid in World of Warcraft.

#12 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
alexastormPosted: Apr 23, 2011 - 13:27
(0)

Hybrid