Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - I know that Democrats have used tax payer money for bailouts for the Wealthy/Ric

Tags: taxes, to do, TARP, class war [ Add Tags ]

[ Return to General Discussion | Reply to Topic ]
mikejohnsonPosted: Apr 20, 2011 - 21:59
(0)

Level: 1
CS Original

I know that Democrats have used tax payer money for bailouts for the Wealthy/Rich my question is is this the first time that the Dems have done this ?

#1 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:00
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

That's an extremely simplistic and inaccurate way to look at the bailouts.

Are all of the GM employees who still have jobs part of the "wealthy and rich"?

#2 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:22
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/myths-vs-facts-the-truth-about-tarp/</p>

* TARP repayments to taxpayers now total more than $250 billion.
* The CBO has forecast that TARP could cost taxpayers just $25 billion – a fraction of the $700 billion first authorized; and the New York Times noted that it “could end up costing... nothing.”
* As a result of TARP investments in American automakers and corresponding demands for industry reform and accountability, the U.S. auto industry as a whole is rebounding strongly, with thousands of jobs created and strong sales gains.
* AIG could turn a profit for taxpayers based on current market prices. The company’s return to the private debt markets also illustrates an important step towards its future independence.
* Washington Post editorial: “It is clear that TARP not only has been successful but, in a real sense, also a great deal for taxpayers.”
* Richard X. Bove, Rochdale Securities: “[TARP] may have been the most successful United States program ever ... The biggest winner in the TARP program was the American taxpayer. Not only did the program create a positive return to taxpayers but it reversed a decline in the economy which would have resulted in even more bankruptcies, lost jobs and wealth destruction.”

#3 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Inside JobPosted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:36
(0)

Level: 2
CS Original

The bailouts were a good thing. Letting the people that got the companies in the mess in the first place, be responsible for alocating the bailout money is a bad thing.

#4 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:45
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I disagree. The best person to clean up a mess is the person who made it.

#5 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
KeppPosted: Apr 20, 2011 - 22:48
(0)

Level: 5
CS Original

Nic is anti America.

#6 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Inside JobPosted: Apr 21, 2011 - 00:41
(0)

Level: 2
CS Original

matt, we aren't talking about spilt milk on the kitchen floor. why should CEO's that pretty much drove a company into the ground get to prosper from tax payer money instead of the money going back into the business?

kepp, that's only because you are a bunch of commies! if a company fails, it should be left to die and allow new companies to sprout (insert mises institute rant here).

#7 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EzPosted: Apr 21, 2011 - 02:34
(0)

Level: 3
CS Original

Well Nic, not all of the companies that went broke and had to be bailed out were responsible for the financial crisis. I'm sure GM had nothing to do with it.

The money is going into the business, seeing as the companies that recieved TARP money have to pay it back in full. So what if they used it to give their CEO a bonus? They have to pay it all back anyway so at the end of the day the company is still paying for it, not the taxpayer.

#8 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
scitopsPosted: Apr 21, 2011 - 22:52
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

While TARP likely prevented a second great depression, most Americans seem bitterly opposed to it. I mentioned to a friend of mine that I supported TARP, and he looked at me rather furiously. It is also unlikely Rand Paul would have been the Republican nominee for senate had he not proclaimed his opposition to TARP every 10 seconds during his campaign.

#9 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EzPosted: Apr 21, 2011 - 22:57
(0)

Level: 3
CS Original

I think it is because most people dont understand what it really is, and like I said in another topic, there seems to be alot of anti corporate sentiment at the moment.

#10 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Apr 21, 2011 - 23:09
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

I tend to agree with Ez, although its not exactly unwarranted with the Citizens United ruling and the amount of money corporations can now pour into the political process anonymously. Some healthy skepticism and regulation is good, but taking a rigid anti-business stance is not.

#11 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]