Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - MacDonald's prices may rise! - Page 4

Tags: FAIL THREAD IS FAIL, Jared Lee Loughner, Gandhi was an asshole, Snob Goblin is a muncher of sorts, WolfBird was wrong, VTV is fat and poor, Get me some waffle fo' free!, Ed is a huge floppy pussy, fat fucks, WHY IS THIS THREAD SO LONG, MAKE IT STOP, Ed has issues, 300 pages of fail!, shut up shut up shut up!!, Even SnobGoblin doesn't deserve this!, You are all internet terrorists, Enablers!, Bill is a conspiracy theorist, INTERNET HATE MACHINE, Ed vs VTV, ONLY SPOCK CAN SAVE THIS THREAD, WHY ED WHY, Now I want McDonalds, Verbal diarreha, DERAIL THIS THREAD, ...why?, fast food nyom nyom, Ed scolds Snob, 1:WORLD RECORD NUMBER OF POSTS IN A THREAD HERE, 2: WORLD RECORD NUMBER OF TAGS IN A THREAD HERE, END THE THREAD, EPIC TROLL THREAD, MATT IS SUPPLANTED, Bill pwns Ed, Bill is the trollercoaster, Bill > Matt, VTV makes a suprise appearance, Bill is VTV's ghost writer, 3:WORLD RECORD NUMBER OF TROLLS IN ONE THREAD, Bill has a PhD in Trollology, Oh hey, I herd you liek teh Mudkipz, ALL GLORY TO BILLLL, Bill trolls so hard everyone orgasms in unison, BOWLS OF SEVERED DICKS, hitler had some good ideas, ALL HAIL THE NEW TROLL KING BILL, Nominate, Matt loves McDonalds while Ed hates it, Ed does not know how to shut the hell up [ Add Tags ]

This forum thread is currently locked, no new replies or edits can be made.

[ Return to Topic Ritz-Carlton | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:11
(1)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Blah blah blah food woo blah blah blah anti-business woo blah blah blah.

I have just summed up Ed's posts in this thread.

#91 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:12
(0)

Level: 10
CS Original

Technically, no. Balanced simply means it incorporates a reasonable amount of each group, which a Big Mac does (has protein, carbs, and fat). The amount or integrity of those groups doesn't affect balance. Pragmatically, one could argue that a "balanced meal" insinuates a relatively high level of nutritional content, which a Big Mac does not have.

I think it is irresponsible for him to claim that it is "well balanced" when nutrition in America especially is so bad. It is not "well rounded" and has barely any nutritional value to speak of. When nutritionists talk about a well rounded diet they don't talk about lots of meat, cheese etc. They talk about vegetables, fruit, etc dark green leafy greens etc yet according to Dunning a cheeseburger at McDonalds "is actually quite a balanced meal"... "rich with just about every nutrient."

This sends a totally wrong message, and frankly in this age I would even go so far as to say its dangerous to peoples health if they actually believe that.

Dunning didn't say cheese is healthy.

Certainly sounds like it when he argued that if you add a piece of burger cheese to the hamburger it makes it even more nutritionally rich.

#92 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:15
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

"I would even go so far as to say its dangerous to peoples health if they actually believe that."

Oooooh, its "dangerous" to let people make decisions for themselves now.

Ed's turning into quite the little Food Hitler.

#93 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:16
(0)

CS Original

Yea the FDA and the Food Standards Agency in the UK are just like Hitler as well.

I like how you keep throwing around the term strawmen yet you just love lying about what I said. So funny. You're a strange troll Matt, you can't decide if you're serious or not. If you're loosing, you were just trolling anyway, I think thats probably how it works.

#94 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:16
(0)

Level: 12
CS Original

You strawman'd Dunning with the ice cream comparison by saying, "well, if Dunning thinks cheese is healthy because it has calcium, then ice cream must be healthy too." He said cheese in combination with the rest of the burger is a balanced meal.

Based on Dunning's logic, though, he probably would argue that ice cream isn't as "unhealthy" as we might think. Again, this whole business is stupid and he should've stuck to the study design.

#95 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:17
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Straw men are Ed's favorite things. You can't take them away from him, because then there'd be nothing left to argue with.

#96 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:18
(0)

CS Original

Ironically, a long time ago you called me out for strawmanning Ed regarding the mandating of healthy food.

#97 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:20
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

You probably did straw man him, everyone does it every now and then. But no one does it on this forum as consistently as Ed does. Mostly the retard is arguing with imaginary shit that no one ever said. Its pretty standard for Ed.

#98 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:21
(0)

CS Original

You strawman'd Dunning with the ice cream comparison by saying, "well, if Dunning thinks cheese is healthy because it has calcium, then ice cream must be healthy too." He said cheese in combination with the rest of the burger is a balanced meal.

Aaron, seriously, that is just as dumb as Dunning's argument.

What if I eat ice cream with the burger? Does that mean its now just as nutritionally rich as the cheese on the burger? Please tell me what the difference is. They both contain calcium.

Or, maybe, does one have to look at more than just the fact that both cheese and ice cream contain calcium when evaluating how healthy a food is?

Based on Dunning's logic, though, he probably would argue that ice cream isn't as "unhealthy" as we might think. Again, this whole business is stupid and he should've stuck to the study design.

Probably which is why my comparison isn't a strawman.

If the claim is that it is a strawman, then we need to know what the difference is between cheese and ice cream in his argument.

#99 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Caramel ColorPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:21
(0)

hey sailor

Level: 1
CS Original

so I shouldn't drink a bottle olive oil, even though it's a healthy fat? b-but it's healthy. you mean moderation is key? what a concept.

#100 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:23
(0)

CS Original

Ed, all I was pointing out is that the verbiage you used was a straw man. What you implied may not have been.

He says cheese is good because its got calcium, well icecream also has calcium in it, does that mean ice cream is healthy?

There's a difference between Dunning's main argument and the one you're attacking.

#101 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:24
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

YOUD BE ABLE TO READ HIS MIND IF YOU WERENT POISONING YOURSELF WITH PROCESSED CHEESE IT BLOCKS THE PINEAL GLAND

#102 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:24
(0)

CS Original

so I shouldn't drink a bottle olive oil, even though it's a healthy fat? b-but it's healthy. you mean moderation is key? what a concept.

So is lard healthy? It contains essential fats.

#103 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:25
(0)

CS Original

That depends on how we're defining healthy.

#104 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:27
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

Healthy means over priced bullshit from Whole Foods I think.

#105 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:28
(0)

CS Original

There's a difference between Dunning's main argument and the one you're attacking.

The main argument being that McDonalds isn't as bad as Super Size Me makes out? Sure but as you said its not the only thing he says.

He ALSO makes claims about how nutritious a McDonalds cheeseburger is, that is separate from the Super Size Me issue. Now if you're saying what I said about ice cream is a strawman please tell me why its different. What if you substituted cheese in that part of his claim and put in ice cream, would it make it suddenly make no sense? No it makes just as much sense.

If you're saying that there is a difference between the cheese and the ice cream then please explain it, if you can do that I will acknowledge my response to be a strawman otherwise it stands.

#106 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:28
(0)

Oooh baby, baby, baby, baby, ... EEE baby, baby, baby.

CS Original

Just because something has high salt, fat, etc in it in addition to required vitamins and minerals does not make the latter magically disappear. Sure, the former is unhealthy, especially in large amounts, but the idea that the latter is 100% irrelevant and untrue is bullshit.

#107 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:29
(0)

CS Original

Just because something has high salt, fat, etc in it in addition to required vitamins and minerals does not make the latter magically disappear. Sure, the former is unhealthy, especially in large amounts, but the idea that the latter is 100% irrelevant and untrue is bullshit.

Good thing I never made that claim Eric isn't it!

#108 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:30
(1)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

This is almost as hilarious as when Ed thought he was James Randi and was issuing challenges to everyone. Dude's a fuckin' retard.

#109 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:31
(1)

CS Original

Good thing I never made that claim Eric isn't it!

Then what is your claim exactly? I've only seen you bitch and moan that everything except what you say is healthy, is unhealthy. OMFG HAMBURGERS HAVE PROTEIN BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY HAVE FAT TOO SO THEY'RE DEATH TOOLS! I'm being facetious, but that seems to be the point you are trying to make here.

#110 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:34
(0)

CS Original

That depends on how we're defining healthy.

Then please someone do it, because it seems to some here we'd have to call lard, ice cream, fruit loops, or Mcdonalds burgers healthy because they contain some nutrients.

Saying you can die if you consume enough broccoli or excess iron is bad for you or even lethal doesn't mean we can therefore conclude somehow that eating McDonalds is somehow the same kind of thing.

#111 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EricPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:35
(0)

CS Original

Then please someone do it, because it seems to some here we'd have to call lard, ice cream, fruit loops, Mcdonalds burgers or fruit loops healthy because they contain some nutrients.

So, it really is the claim you're making then. Exactly as I said it, you disregard any potential nutritional value in anything if it also contains things that are unhealthy in large amounts.

#112 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:35
(0)

CS Original

OMFG HAMBURGERS HAVE PROTEIN BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY HAVE FAT TOO

My point which started all of this was that McDonalds is not healthy. That is true. It may contain protein, but large amounts of salt and fat make it not a healthy choice. I don;t see what's so difficult to understand about that.

#113 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:36
(1)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

HEY GUYS IF I REPEAT STUFF IT BECOMES TRUE

#114 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:37
(0)

CS Original

So, it really is the claim you're making then. Exactly as I said it, you disregard any potential nutritional value in anything if it also contains things that are unhealthy.

No, that's not at all like what you said.

If you add vitamins to lard, does it mean lard isn't unhealthy now? Is meat always healthy just because its got protein in it?

#115 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:38
(0)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

You're conflating meat with lard.

Typical fail from Ed.

#116 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Caramel ColorPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:40
(0)

hey sailor

CS Original

meat has more than protein, bro. flank steak, for example
http://www.nutrientfacts.com/foodpages/nutritionfacts/nutritionfacts_flank_steak.htm

#117 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:41
(0)

CS Original

Caramel, is that relevant?

edit: ahh I think I know what you're saying. Firstly we don't need much protein in our diet so calling a cheeseburger well rounded that contains just about every nutrient like Dunning says is still wrong. But also if we need that protein prime steak isn't such a bad choice, but compare that to a McDonalds burger its got high salt and high fats along with the protein so that means its not that healthy anymore. You have to look at the whole food and see just what benefits you get and whether the negatives outweigh the positives.

Seriously I could put the crappest diet on here with McDonalds, icecream, pizza, vitamin supplements instead of actual supplements and fizzy drinks and could make the claim that this is a healthy diet or that its "not that bad" simply because I could find all the good things in those foods. This does not mean it is a healthy diet just because I can find vitamins in fruit loops, or that I have lots of calcium from all the cheese or protein from all the Big Macs.

#118 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:41
(1)

Genuine American Monster

CS Original

GUYS FRUIT HAS SUGAR IN IT

THAT MEANS ITS AS UNHEALTHY AS A CANDY BAR

DONT EAT FRUIT

#119 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Caramel ColorPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:43
(0)

hey sailor

CS Original

When you're arguing meat is unhealthy, I'd say so.

#120 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]