Skeptic Project

Your #1 COINTELPRO cognitive infiltration source.

Page By Category

Forum - MacDonald's prices may rise! - Page 3

Tags: FAIL THREAD IS FAIL, Jared Lee Loughner, Gandhi was an asshole, Snob Goblin is a muncher of sorts, WolfBird was wrong, VTV is fat and poor, Get me some waffle fo' free!, Ed is a huge floppy pussy, fat fucks, WHY IS THIS THREAD SO LONG, MAKE IT STOP, Ed has issues, 300 pages of fail!, shut up shut up shut up!!, Even SnobGoblin doesn't deserve this!, You are all internet terrorists, Enablers!, Bill is a conspiracy theorist, INTERNET HATE MACHINE, Ed vs VTV, ONLY SPOCK CAN SAVE THIS THREAD, WHY ED WHY, Now I want McDonalds, Verbal diarreha, DERAIL THIS THREAD, ...why?, fast food nyom nyom, Ed scolds Snob, 1:WORLD RECORD NUMBER OF POSTS IN A THREAD HERE, 2: WORLD RECORD NUMBER OF TAGS IN A THREAD HERE, END THE THREAD, EPIC TROLL THREAD, MATT IS SUPPLANTED, Bill pwns Ed, Bill is the trollercoaster, Bill > Matt, VTV makes a suprise appearance, Bill is VTV's ghost writer, 3:WORLD RECORD NUMBER OF TROLLS IN ONE THREAD, Bill has a PhD in Trollology, Oh hey, I herd you liek teh Mudkipz, ALL GLORY TO BILLLL, Bill trolls so hard everyone orgasms in unison, BOWLS OF SEVERED DICKS, hitler had some good ideas, ALL HAIL THE NEW TROLL KING BILL, Nominate, Matt loves McDonalds while Ed hates it, Ed does not know how to shut the hell up [ Add Tags ]

This forum thread is currently locked, no new replies or edits can be made.

[ Return to Topic Ritz-Carlton | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:23
(0)

Level: 10
CS Original

Matt would probably argue that Ed likes to erect straw men that he can knock down himself without addressing actual points made.

Which is pretty typical for Ed.

I guess you'd know you're quite good at lying about what people think. Remember that time you claimed I was making some crazy claim about organic food? Oh hilarious wasn't it, pretending I was saying something irrational! hahahah!

PS: please point out the strawman and clarify yourself

#61 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:25
(0)

Level: 12
CS Original

Dunning went off on a tangent from his main argument (McDonalds isn't as unhealthy as you think) by suggesting that McDonalds is relatively quite nutritious. This part of his argument was not intended to prove a much different argument (McDonalds is healthy for you) but rather to supplement the main one.

It can get easily confusing because we're dealing with some very weak rationale. All we have to do is show how the Super Size Me guy ran a poorly designed study, and the game is over. These defenses for the nutrition in McDonalds food is unnecessary and makes the argument weaker (or at least no better) IMO.

#62 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Caramel ColorPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:28
(1)

hey sailor

Level: 1
CS Original

Who the hell eats more than one Big Mac at once? I can barely eat one.

#63 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:29
(1)

HAIL HYDRA

Level: 6
CS Original

My record is 6.

#64 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
The Burger KingPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:32
(1)

I can't stop posting pictures of poop, what the fuck is wrong with me?

Level: 5
CS Original

@Kaiser Falkner wow that is pretty amazing

#65 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:33
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

Didn't feel amazing for the rest of the day.

#66 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
domokatoPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:34
(0)

Level: 4
CS Original

Ya, if you can eat 5000 calories worth of McDonalds per day and not feel many ill effects besides getting fat and tired, I'd say it's "not so bad".

#67 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:34
(0)

CS Original

McDonalds isn't as unhealthy as you think)

As I say this is only true or not based on how unhealthy you're accusing it to be.

by suggesting that McDonalds is relatively quite nutritious.

Which is stupid and disproved by his own article he wrote.

Its not nutritious the same way Fruit Loops are not nutrious. Yet Fruit Loops contains things like whole grain corn flour, its high in iron, high in vitamin A, high in vitamin B6, high in vitamin C, high in zinc, Calcium and also real fruit juice from concentrate. \

According to the Skeptoid article you would have to say that Fruit Loops are nutritionally rich!

Saying you can limit your intake doesn't relate to how healthy a food is. I can consume some fecal matter safely... but its not frickin healthy, the logic is stupid.

#68 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:36
(0)

CS Original

As I say this is only true or not based on how unhealthy you're accusing it to be.

I figure "unhealthy" is based on how the Super Size Me defined or implied it to be. The Skeptoid podcast did a good job of attacking his study's design.

#69 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:36
(0)

CS Original

I'd say it's "not so bad".

I'd agree since you defined what you meant by that. But Matt had to claim I was totally wrong and had been disproved about saying it was unhealthy.

#70 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Caramel ColorPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:37
(0)

hey sailor

CS Original

Uh, that is fairly nutritionally rich. Or does it only count to you if it's not artificially enriched?

#71 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:37
(0)

CS Original

And now, we have to define "nutritionally rich". A vitamin is extremely nutritious, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to swallow it. Likewise, water isn't very nutritious...

I'm defining "nutritionally rich" as "having an abundant amount of vitamins, minerals, and whatever else (amino acids, proteins, I don't know)."

#72 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Agent MattPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:38
(0)

Genuine American Monster

Level: 70
CS Original

Haha, Ed never ceases to be a fucking dumbass.

#73 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:38
(0)

CS Original

I figure "unhealthy" is based on how the Super Size Me defined or implied it to be. The Skeptoid podcast did a good job of attacking his study's design.

Yes and that part was interesting, but the rest was pure junk. Actually saying their cheeseburger is nutritionally rich and quite a balanced meal just blows by mind

#74 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:39
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

You can poison yourself on Vitamins pretty easily- even water soluable ones.

#75 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:39
(0)

CS Original

Haha, Ed never ceases to be a fucking dumbass.

Oh yea I guess I fell you you just being a troll and not really believing the words you write again, how stupid am I!

#76 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:40
(0)

CS Original

It's a balanced meal at a very, very low level. There are worse foods one could eat, such as a waffle with syrup or hot dog.

#77 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Caramel ColorPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:40
(0)

hey sailor

CS Original

So if I'm reading this correctly nutrition only counts if it's a "whole food"? Or if a meal contains every vitamin and mineral you need?

#78 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:40
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

You leave waffles out of this you slanderous wench!

#79 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:41
(0)

CS Original

Uh, that is fairly nutritionally rich. Or does it only count to you if it's not artificially enriched?

The point is Fruit Loops is not a nutritious healthy food like the Skeptoid article is trying to argue. It is not a healthy choice.

#80 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:42
(1)

CS Original

lol Falkner

Ed, Skeptoid isn't saying Fruit Loops / Mcdonalds is a healthy choice. It's saying it's not an unhealthy choice.

#81 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Caramel ColorPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:43
(1)

hey sailor

CS Original

You're the one who brought in fruit loops. The main argument I see against cereals like fruit loops is that they're high in sugar and don't have much fiber. Does that mean all the vitamins in it just don't count then?

#82 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:44
(0)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

If you count nutrition by percentages of nutrients you need or are recommended to have in a day, froot loops arent that bad. You probably shouldn't over-do the sugar the rest of the day, but by itself you get a lot from fruit loops. You dont eat fruit loops (or McDonalds) and get nothing from it- you just also take a lot of stuff with it you dont really need a lot of. It just means you have to, you know, think about what else you are eating that day.

And Aaron, one more thing about waffles and so help me god...

#83 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:44
(0)

CS Original

Funny because I was just about to make another reference to waffles.

#84 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:47
(0)

CS Original

It's a balanced meal at a very, very low level.

Thats reeeeally stretching the meaning of the word balanced.

There are worse foods one could eat, such as a waffle with syrup or hot dog.

Irrelevant, there are worse things we could eat than a waffle and a hot dog that doesn't mean a waffle and a hot dog aren't unhealthy.

He says cheese is good because its got calcium, well icecream also has calcium in it, does that mean ice cream is healthy?

That Skeptoid article is even more extreme that Matt's trollish argument. Matt said that he never claimed McDonalds was a healthy choice a page ago, yet that is literally what this guy says.

So if I'm reading this correctly nutrition only counts if it's a "whole food"? Or if a meal contains every vitamin and mineral you need?

Do you think it doesn't matter if you don't eat vegetables at all and think this is fine because you eat vitamin supplements?

#85 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
Kaiser FalknerPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:49
(1)

HAIL HYDRA

CS Original

What did I say about waffles?! Goddamnit people.

#86 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:51
(0)

CS Original

Ed, Skeptoid isn't saying Fruit Loops / Mcdonalds is a healthy choice. It's saying it's not an unhealthy choice.

Aaron, when Skeptoid says :

"A hamburger is actually quite a balanced meal, rich with just about every nutrient. Add a slice of cheese and it even contains all four food groups. Fast food hamburgers are excellent sources of protein, calcium, and iron."

That is arguing that actually they are quite healthy actually, quite wel rounded and contains just about every nutrient.

He argues that then simultaneously admits that it is very high in salt and very high in sat fat and that eating only two will push you over the recommended safe levels. its quite remarkable how he did that. He is saying its healthy and admitting its unhealthy at the same time.

#87 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 13:56
(0)

CS Original

Thats reeeeally stretching the meaning of the word balanced.

Technically, no. Balanced simply means it incorporates a reasonable amount of each group, which a Big Mac does (has protein, carbs, and fat). The amount or integrity of those groups doesn't affect balance. Pragmatically, one could argue that a "balanced meal" insinuates a relatively high level of nutritional content, which a Big Mac does not have.

Irrelevant, there are worse things we could eat than a waffle and a hot dog that doesn't mean a waffle and a hot dog aren't unhealthy.

In order to determine whether something is health or not, we need a comparison. Dunning decided to argue that McDonalds isn't as unhealthy as some other choices. He is correct. Of course, this doesn't mean McDonalds is healthy; but Dunning didn't say that anyways. Again, though, it's a very weak argument.

He says cheese is good because its got calcium, well icecream also has calcium in it, does that mean ice cream is healthy?

Dunning didn't say cheese is healthy.

#88 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
sorryPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:00
(0)

CS Original

"A hamburger is actually quite a balanced meal, rich with just about every nutrient. Add a slice of cheese and it even contains all four food groups. Fast food hamburgers are excellent sources of protein, calcium, and iron."

That is arguing that actually they are quite healthy actually, quite wel rounded and contains just about every nutrient.

He argues that then simultaneously admits that it is very high in salt and very high in sat fat and that eating only two will push you over the recommended safe levels. its quite remarkable how he did that. He is saying its healthy and admitting its unhealthy at the same time.

This is why I think Dunning's foolishly making an unnecessarily weak argument. There's no need to get into this business about a hamburger being "rich" in nutrients when he could simply stick to attacking Super Size Me's design.

#89 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]
EdPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 14:05
(0)

CS Original

..."A hamburger is actually quite a balanced meal, rich with just about every nutrient. Add a slice of cheese and it even contains all four food groups. Fast food hamburgers are excellent sources of protein, calcium, and iron."...

"actually quite a balanced meal"... "rich with just about every nutrient.".. "it even contains all four food groups"

This is absolutely koo koo crazy as far as I'm concerned.

He doesn't clarify whether he is referring to a McDonalds hamburger or one that is made at home with real cheese and extra lean meat, but if somehow he wasn't talking about McDonalds it would be a non-argument anyway since he would be trying to show McDonalds isn't that unhealthy by comparing it to a version made with very different ingredients.

He argues that, then simultaneously admits that it is very high in salt and very high in saturated fat and that eating only two will push you over the recommended safe levels but still somehow not realise he just admitted how unhealthy they were. Its quite remarkable how he manages to type such contradictory stuff He is saying its healthy and admitting its unhealthy at the same time.

Oh and Fruit Loops is not healthy, sure it has some good stuff in it but its also got stuff in it thats not good for you. To evaluate a food you look at how good it is vs how bad it is and as a whole see how healthy it really is. Fruit loops also contain very high levels of sugar and is very high in calories so while it may contain all those vitamins its still a bad choice to give to kids for breakfast, but of course if the choice is between a doughnuts and Fruit Loops we might be able to say that Fruit Loops is a healthier choice, but that is really not saying much.

#90 [ Top | Reply to Topic ]